Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Now, diamonds are not only forever...they're on 24/7

Ahh...finally! Nirvana for the baseball freak.
I think I've found heaven on earth. Yeah, I know it sounds pathetic but for a baseball maniac like me the coming of the Major League Baseball Channel this Thursday (January 1) at 6:00 is like a warm fireplace on a cold evening.
As I read the comments of a reader a few months back in the Philadelphia Inquirer Sports Section I had to shake my head in agreement, "There's only two sports seasons. The baseball season and the waiting for baseball season." the diamond crazed guy said. And I gotta admit I've used that line many times since.
Sure I like football, basketball, hockey, and soccer. But let's face it...they're all the same sport with some slight variations. They all have the clock telling them when their time is up, each game is broken into periods, halves, or quarters, and the objective in all those games is to have the offense drive the ball (or puck) down the field (or court, or ice) and get it into the defenses goal. That's it.
Ok, so in a couple of the sports they wear pads and helmets and in the others it's shorts and shirts, but they're all basically the same.
So...I wait in anticipation as the granddaddy of big time American team sports - our national pasttime - hits the airwaves for real! Yes, my friends...diamonds are forever! And I can watch them anytime I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment