Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Drumming our way to harmony

Quite the interesting exercise we did in my OB classes today.

It's amazing how drums, a didgeridoo, maracas, and some other exotic instruments can take a class of individuals and turn them into a well functioning music machine!

At the beginning of the exercise a number of students voiced the fact that they didn't think they could play an instument, or didn't have the rhythm needed to participate. But...after the drum beat started and the sound of the didgeridoo bellowed through the room an amazing transformation happened. The entire class got into a harmonious round of music. It was, to me at least, a fantastic scene.
The sound was good enough (as I mentioned to the class and they agreed) to be put on a CD and listened to with delight.

It just shows how an organization can be brought together to function well, meet their goals, learn new skills, create individual and group leaders, and avoid conflict with the help of some simple instruments. Wow! Impressive...very impressive.

Special thanks to Pavel Kolenda and Evan Sheeler for providing the instruments and inspiration.

And...as a side note - I heard some people saying they'd like to start taking lessons to a couple of classmates who could provide them. Bravo!

A show of positive organizational behavior through students performing music using leadership, team building, listening, and conflict management skills...refreshing!

Add to Technorati Favorites

8 comments:

  1. class was awesome today. probably the most fun ive had in a college class. i dont know why, i think it was hearing Pavel hitting the drums, reminded me of this song...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWX9e10Ubw

    not the best lyrics and not the bands finest work but the way the drum was played in class instantly brought me to this song haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    I hear that! Thanks for the link...enjoyed listening to it.

    Best,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Class was different thats for sure. I think Pawel may have missed his calling. I could not get the link to work on you tube. But if someone knows where one would go to purchase a vibra-slap, didgeridoo or whatever that peice of flexible metal was called let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, guess we'll have to play it before class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i trully enjoyed class on wednesday. It was a great way to start off my classes and it was a great exercise over all that obviusly brought many people together. One of the best things ive experienced so far in my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great to hear Sorina! I'm glad that you enjoyed it so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it is a bit late, but I'm glad we had a chance to do it in the class, and thank you for letting us bring some instruments! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really glad to hear everyone liked the drum exercise so much. If anyone is interested in percussion i usually have at least 10 instruments in my car at all times and always looking for friends to play music with, I can also lead you to local stores that sell instruments... Email me: eshee605@kutztown

    ReplyDelete