Sunday, March 29, 2009

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Plaxo, LinkedIn, MySpace and more

Social networking has always been a vital part of business and personal growth.

Years ago a friends of mine named Steve Shaiman had this idea about using the internet to create social networks. So...even before there were Facebooks and blogs, Twitters and Plaxos, there was Steve. He was so sure that it would work that we'd meet for hours about it.

Well Steve, you were right! I tip my hat to you!!

I'm a blogger and a Facebooker, a Twitterer who doesn't tweet (which, by the way, is a synonym for chirping, a word I used on my leadership blog but I didn't want to get into it there, as I am here), a MySpacer who found his space more efficiently and effectively on Facebook, and a Plaxoed LinkedInner who participates but hasn't quite gotten the hang of either of them yet.

Facebook has enabled me to connect with lots of current friends and re-connect with folks I haven't seen or heard from in years. Sometimes decades. It's a phenomenal phenomenon. In fact, I had coffee late Friday afternoon with the cousin of an old Mt. Airy (the neighborhood in Philly where I 'grew up') friend. The cousin's also originally from here but now lives in San Diego. We had a great discussion about baseball, business, music, and life. Never woulda met the guy if it wasn't for Facebook.

I love to learn and social networking gives me the ability to have interchanges with all types of folks, learn new things, and think in new ways.

I'm a relative virgin (if that's not an oxymoron...like being a 'little pregnant') at all this but my friends are showing me techniques to enhance my experience. So...Facebook me, blog with me, but for right now...don't Twitter me 'cause I might not be able to tweet you back!

Hmm - I think I'll LinkIn to my Plaxo and try to find Mrs. Childress who might be hiding on another social network called VeriZoned in another solar system. You didn't think I'd let that slide, did ya?




Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dan,

    I agree that social networking has aided in business and personal growth. It seems like everyone has a facebook, myspace, twitter, blog, etc. these days. It's almost to the point where if you do not have at least one of these accounts you are out of the loop on so many different levels. Personally, I find them great ways to keep in touch with those who you don't see as often as you'd like; it's also a great way to find friends of the past as you had mentioned in your post.

    Thanks and take care,
    Kimmy K. (business, society & ethics)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmy,

    You're on the mark! And...right after I wrote that post I received a notice that someone was following me on Twitter! Geez, now I'll have to figure out how to tweet.

    Best,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious to see how all of these social networks evolve. As you mentioned Dan there are about five major social networks, in the next five years how many more will we have? Will there be to many networks for people to have an account in all of these? I guess only time will tell.

    Thanks,
    Marco R.

    ReplyDelete